Sore throats are very common and usually nothing to worry about. They normally get better by themselves within a week. Sore throats may be a symptom of an illness which may have been caused by viruses (like cold and flu). Very occasionally they can be caused by bacteria i.e Streptococcus A (Strep throat).
Sore throats caused by Viruses or Bacteria may have the following symptoms:
- Painful throat, especially when swallowing
- Dry Scratchy throat with a possible mild cough
- High temperature
- Swollen neck glands (Lymph nodes)
- Swollen and red tonsils, sometimes with white patches present
- Bad breath
Many Sore throats can be relieved with treatments available over the counter in your Local Brennan’s Pharmacy such as:
Tyrozet Lozenges – Anaesthetic, antibacterial lozenge to provide relief and help fight any infection present causing the sore throat.
Difflam Spray and Difflam Oral rinse – Anti-inflammatory, anaesthetic and painkiller to provide effective relief from a sore throat.
Paracetamol or Ibuprofen – effective painkillers to help provide relief from sore throats and reduce high temperature.
Strepsils Product range – Helps numb sore throats and reduce pin when swallowing.
Brennan’s Pharmacy tips to help Soothe a sore throat and shorten how long it lasts are:
- Gargle with warm salty water (children shouldn’t try this)
- Drink plenty of water, but avoid hot drinks such as a tea/ coffee.
- Eat cool or soft foods i.e ice cream
- Avoid smoking or smoky places
- Ensure you get adequate rest to allow your body to fight the infection.
- Take Vitamin C and Zinc supplements to boost your immune system to help fight the infection.