Pain is an unpleasant sensory and emotional experience, it is designed to alert the body to actual or potential tissue damage. Fortunately the majority of pain we experience is caused by minor conditions/ illnesses and can be treated very quickly and effectively. The most common types of pain we help treat in our patients are Headache, Muscular pain/ Sports injury and Dental pain.
We all get headaches from time to time. They’re mostly easy to treat with over-the-counter painkillers, so it’s matter of making sure you’ve got the right ones to hand when you need them. Common causes of a headache include viruses, blocked sinus, dehydration, skipping meals, drinking alcohol to excess and lack of sleep etc. In many instance minor Headaches will respond well to rest, fluid intake and OTC painkillers.
Brennan’s Pharmacy tips to help relieve a headache are:
- Oral painkillers such as Paracetamol (Panadol) or Ibuprofen (Nurofen) are an effective way to reduce the pain and discomfort associated with headaches.
- Drink plenty of fluids to ensure adequate hydration. Avoid alcohol.
- Get plenty of rest and avoid bright lights (eye straining may trigger a headache)
- If the headache is due to sinus blockage then a decongestant tablet such as Sudafed is a great way to relieve this.
Muscular pain/ Sports Injury
Muscular pain such as aching limbs, back pain and a stiff neck are very common and are usually caused by a strained or pulled muscle during physical activity, sleeping awkwardly or in some cases by completing everyday tasks. Muscle pain can be very uncomfortable and affect your everyday life therefore pain relief such as Anti-inflammatories is recommended to help reduce inflammation and minimise the pain.
Brennan’s Pharmacy tips to help relieve muscle pain are:
- Anti-inflammatory tablets such as Ibuprofen (Nurofen) are very effective in muscle pain as they reduce inflammation whilst providing effective pain relief.
- Anti-inflammatory gels such as Voltarol 2% Emulgel give fast effective pain relief to sore muscles.
- Keep the muscle warm by using Thermacare heat patches or Deep heat rubs. This will help the muscle to heal faster and provide pain relief.
- Ensure the muscle is well rested to allow time to heal and prevent any further damage.
The most common cause of dental pain is due to toothache, and is generally a result of inflammation of the soft, central part of the tooth. This can occur due to cavities (tooth decay), infections at the root of the tooth, damaged fillings or infected gums.
Symptoms of dental pain include:
- Sharp, throbbing pain
- Swelling, painful gums
- Toothache that occurs when pressure is applied.
It is recommended to see your dentist if you are suffering from dental pain, however you can treat dental pain using an Anti-inflammatory painkiller such as Ibuprofen (Nurofen) whilst awaiting for your appointment as this type of pain can be severe.