From Monday the 5th of July, we will be offering the COVID-19 Vaccine to those between 18 and 34 years of age who have not yet received a vaccine. The vaccine we will be administering is the COVID-19 Vaccine by Johnson and Johnson. This is a single dose vaccine, which takes 14 days to work after which point you are considered fully vaccinated.
Please click the link below, after reading the information on vaccination provided on Covid-19 vaccination. You will then be contacted by a member of our team with a time and date for your appointment.
What is COVID-19?
COVID-19 is a very infectious viral illness which can cause serious illness, hospitalisation and even death, particularly in elderly and patients that have a compromised immune system. COVID-19 is caused by a new type of Coronavirus that was discovered in December 2019.
Why is it important to get a COVID-19 vaccine?
Some people who get COVID-19 can get serious complications which make them very sick where they may need treatment in hospital or in intensive care. COVID-19 can even cause people to die.
There is no way to know how COVID-19 will affect you as it effects different people to varying degrees. If you do get the virus it can spread to other people around you, like your family and friends.
COVID-19 vaccines will offer you protection from COVID-19 by teaching your immune system how to protect you from this disease. If you have been vaccinated, and you come into contact with Covid-19 infection, your immune system should stop the infection from making you sick. It is important to note that some people might still get COVID-19 even after having the vaccine, but the vaccine works to reduce this to a mild illness. It is much safer for your immune system to learn how to protect you through vaccination than by getting COVID-19.
Are COVID-19 vaccines safe?
- COVID-19 vaccines used in Ireland are safe.
- All vaccines used in the Republic of Ireland must be approved by the European Medicines Agency (EMA). The EMA only approves vaccines once they are satisfied that they are safe and effective.
- Experts across the world have worked together to develop safe vaccines as quickly as possible.
- In Ireland, the Health Products Regulatory Authority (HPRA) works to make sure that side effects that people get are reported and followed up.
Are there any side effects from COVID-19 vaccines?
- Like all medicines, vaccines can have side effects. The side effects are mostly mild or moderate and some don’t get any side effects at all.
- Mild side effects can include a sore arm or itching where the injection was given, feeling tired, feeling sick, body chills or feeling like you have a fever.
- We know that serious side effects to vaccines, like an allergic reaction, are extremely rare.
- There are also very few reports of rare clotting issues occurring in some people following vaccination. Symptoms of blood clots include shortness of breath, chest pain, leg swelling, persistent abdominal pain and severe and persistent headaches or blurred vision and if any of these were to occur you should speak with your doctor.
Do I have to get a COVID-19 vaccine?
- When the vaccine is available for you, it is your choice whether to get it.
- You can read the leaflets on both the Pfizer and J&J vaccines below, and you will be asked to give your consent when you register and at your appointment.
- It is important that you have all the information you need to help you make the decision that is right for you.
Do I still need to wear a mask, keep my distance and wash my hands after I get a COVID-19 vaccine?
- The vaccine is just one way we have to protect ourselves from COVID-19.
- There is still a small chance you might get COVID-19 after you have had the vaccine.
- There is also a chance that you might spread COVID-19, even if you don’t get sick yourself.
- That is why it is so important to continue to follow HSE and government advice on washing your hands, keeping your distance and wearing a face covering.
Which Vaccine will you be getting in Brennans Pharmacy?
We will be delivering the Janssen (Johnson & Johnson) Vaccine in Brennans to patients over 50 years who have not yet been vaccinated. Below is a video from the Mayo Clinic in the USA, providing information specifically about the Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccine.
The very positive thing about this vaccine is that it is currently a single dose vaccine meaning you do not have to return for a 2nd.
You have immunity 14 days after receiving this vaccine.
Our community pharmacists are in a unique position to deliver this vaccine to you rather than having to attend a Vaccination Hub. Pharmacists are on hand to spend time with you while delivering your vaccine and to answer any questions or reservations you may have on receiving a COVID-19 vaccine.
Do you have any other questions about COVID vaccines?
Our Pharmacists in Brennans are all trained to answer queries and give professional advice on COVID-19 vaccines. Should you have any questions about getting a vaccine please call into any of our pharmacies or contact us here.